Transcript: January 27th, 2012—Steampunk Interior Design

The steampunk home isn’t a pastiche of Victorian life, though there may be a Victorian sensibility to the materials, patters, colors, and quality of finish. It’s not just super-glued cogs and gears, either. So what makes a home steampunk?

Read the transcript of tonight’s chat on Steampunk Interior Design (from the bottom for chronological order) and find out!

HUGE thanks to the gallant @artificer13 for guest-hosting at the last minute!

ProfRaven #SteampunkChat was great tonight, talking about#steampunk interior design; followed a very fun #fireflyquoteday -7:23 PM Jan 27th, 2012

AirshipEmbassy @Brainmaker this might provide some inspiration or links – http://t.co/K0v8U17k #steampunkchat -7:17 PM Jan 27th, 2012

LisaARooney Good night everyone! Thanks @artificer13!#steampunkchat -7:08 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy Thank you, pleased I could step in and keep the chat going tonite. #steampunkchat Ta all, it’s been a pleasure. -7:07 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @ProfRaven LOL! Buckle up 🙂 #steampunkchat -7:07 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 yes, thx! #SteampunkChat-7:06 PM Jan 27th, 2012

AirshipEmbassy @Brainmaker Hmm, would have to think about late 1800s music. #steampunkchat -7:06 PM Jan 27th, 2012

AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Thanks for hosting tonight!#steampunkchat -7:06 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @Brainmaker @airshipembassy drawing a serious blank!#SteampunkChat -7:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @artificer13 I’m in so much trouble #SteampunkChat she turns 4 tomorrow -7:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 Alrighty #steampunk chaps & chapettes, I’ve got to run, but feel free to keep debating the finer pts of #SP Interior Design#steampunkchat -7:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @ProfRaven I can see she’s already got her Goth eyeshadow well developed. 😉 #steampunkchat -7:03 PM Jan 27th, 2012

Brainmaker @AirshipEmbassy I’m looking for music to use with a steampunk dance show, classical-esque, from late 1800s. Any thoughts? #steampunkchat -7:03 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @artificer13 just her #SteampunkChat http://t.co/E9EJTPfR-7:02 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @ProfRaven Oh my! I’m willing to bet there was a whole house-full of unhappy campers THAT evening. #steampunkchat -7:00 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @artificer13 def agree! #SteampunkChat -6:59 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven @artificer13 HAHA no, that’s the new cover, this is what it’s hiding #SteampunkChat http://t.co/lTTyTlyb -6:59 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy I found the berlin system (w/ algae scrubbers) to be very effective, but the lighting and heating are brutal.#steampunkchat -6:58 PM Jan 27th, 2012

AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 it is a real tradeoff between looks and maintenance costs #steampunkchat -6:57 PM Jan 27th, 2012

LisaARooney @ProfRaven LOL! I like that print. #steampunkchat -6:57 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @ProfRaven Woah, that’s a LOT of eyeshadow! 😉 Did you dye it? It looks quite good. #steampunkchat -6:55 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 We’re winding down here, any last thoughts on #steampunkdecorating? I’d say “Strive not for accuracy, but for feel”#steampunkchat -6:54 PM Jan 27th, 2012

clockworkurchin A Nautilus themed room is definitely a good excuse to acquire a saltwater fish tank. #steampunkchat -6:54 PM Jan 27th, 2012

ProfRaven Vanity seat, was white till daughter found black eyeshadow#SteampunkChat http://t.co/xeCDyT0S -6:54 PM Jan 27th, 2012

artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy I’m so torn, I used to have a algae-filtered reef tank, & would <3 another, but HATE the energy costs.#steampunkchat -6:52 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy RT @ProfRaven: Wall hanging in bedroom, refurb from hideous thrift store find #SteampunkChat http://t.co/5EcedojL#steampunkchat -6:52 PM Jan 27th, 2012 LisaARooney @ProfRaven Very cool! #steampunkchat -6:52 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @LisaARooney one can never go wrong with a porthole. Nicely done! #steampunkchat -6:51 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Built in aquariums would be perfect. I would like a bigger tank 🙂 #steampunkchat -6:51 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven Wall hanging in bedroom, refurb from hideous thrift store find #SteampunkChat http://t.co/92xO9sxe -6:50 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @ProfRaven Agreed! Brass, velvet, odd electro-voltaic machines, and marine life all in one go. #Verne #FTW #steampunkchat-6:50 PM Jan 27th, 2012 LisaARooney This is also in the boy’s room: http://t.co/QZK8dxPv#steampunkchat -6:49 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @artificer13 @airshipembassy sounds fab! #SteampunkChat-6:49 PM Jan 27th, 2012 Brainmaker @LisaARooney Wow, gorgeous stuff! I’m inspired.#steampunkchat -6:48 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy I’d love to do my bar in a OTT Vernian theme, WAY further than disney took it. Including built-in fish tanks#steampunkchat -6:48 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @artificer13 #SteampunkChat Nemo! Love the beach, the ocean, octopi, steampunk…it’s like Verne did all the work for me! -6:47 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 The Nautilus theme is something I could be happy with #steampunkchat -6:47 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe @LisaARooney Looking good so far! #steampunkchat-6:46 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 We’ve mostly discussed historical styles- are there fantastic styles you’d like to use? Nemo’s sub or Vernian timemachine?#steampunkchat -6:45 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @LisaARooney that’s lovely! #steampunkchat -6:42 PM Jan 27th, 2012 LisaARooney @artificer13 Not yet. This was the first piece:http://t.co/iD7RUpUs #steampunkchat -6:40 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy @lisaarooney #SteampunkChatpolyurethane -6:40 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @LisaARooney #SteampunkChat very cool! -6:39 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @LisaARooney would that involve those lovely cloud lamps you have pinned on your board? #steampunkchat -6:39 PM Jan 27th, 2012 Brainmaker @AirshipEmbassy Cool. I can imagine some steamy modifications to art nouveau I’d love to live with. #steampunkchat -6:39 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy #SteampunkChat rooms to go -6:38 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @LisaARooney I wonder what is used to seal and glue the pennies in place? Fun idea, though! #steampunkchat -6:38 PM Jan 27th, 2012 LisaARooney I’ve been slowly redoing my son’s room, so that it has an airship pirate theme. #steampunkchat -6:37 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @clockworkurchin welcome in! Pull up a chair, as we’re discussing #steampunk interior design. #steampunkchat -6:37 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy #SteampunkChat custom steampunk art on walls, working on jewelry boxes as wall art -6:36 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @ProfRaven RTG? #steampunkchat -6:36 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @LisaARooney LOL! I absolutely LOVE the penny floor. I may have to steal that for my bar-top! #steampunkchat -6:36 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy #SteampunkChat recovered vanity seat in turquoise/brown swirly design -6:36 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven @AirshipEmbassy I bought furniture from RTG (don’t kill me) that is dark hurled wood and silver handles, poster bed#SteampunkChat -6:35 PM Jan 27th, 2012 LisaARooney http://t.co/f5e1gnGp not all are SP, but many are.#steampunkchat -6:35 PM Jan 27th, 2012 clockworkurchin I actually made #steampunkchat for once. Sucess!-6:34 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy If I were to decorate #SP, I’d probably go F.LL.Wright or Greene & Greene based. http://t.co/Upq1a0Xe#steampunkchat -6:34 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @ProfRaven What is part of your design? What progress have you made? #steampunkchat -6:33 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy I’ve gotten some ideas from Bruce Rosenbaum’s Steampunk House, and various steampunk art books helps, too#steampunkchat -6:32 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy Does anyone have examples of items they’d want to include in their own steampunk interior? #steampunkchat -6:31 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven #SteampunkChat I’ve actually started doing my bedroom this way -6:31 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe I return. #steampunkchat -6:30 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @ProfRaven Pull up a chair! #steampunkchat -6:29 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @ProfRaven Welcome, we are talking steampunk interior design #steampunkchat -6:28 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy I’m a slouch, I’ll take lounging in a smoking jacket over bolt-straight in evening dress 🙂 #steampunkchat-6:28 PM Jan 27th, 2012 ProfRaven #SteampunkChat sorry I’m late, putting apprentices to bed-6:27 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy Perhaps art nouveau and it’s changes can be reflected in the story, too. Art reflecting real life, as it were. #steampunkchat-6:27 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @Brainmaker It does have a sleeker feel, generally, compared to the heavier embellished Victorian design#steampunkchat -6:26 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @Brainmaker art nouveau certainly fits in at the tail end of the 19th century, so it’s the right time period #steampunkchat-6:24 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @Brainmaker I wish we’d see more Art Nouveau, it made it’s start in industrial France, so the timing is perfect #steampunkchat -6:24 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 LOL, it MAKES you have good posture, aside from the too short legs part 🙁 #steampunkchat -6:24 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy My greatgrandmother had a Vic. horsehair settee in her front room that I DESPISED, itchy, short & too upright #steampunkchat -6:23 PM Jan 27th, 2012 Brainmaker Hi folks. Curious how art nouveau figures in steampunk.#steampunkchat -6:22 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 I agree, real antique period pieces are often too small for modern people. #steampunkchat -6:21 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe AFK a moment, folks. #steampunkchat -6:19 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe @AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 In this case “close enough” should work. Indy furniture stores, online, wherever you can find #steampunkchat -6:19 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @MarshallGabe @AirshipEmbassy 1 issue I have with period furnishings is that they’re too small. I’m 6′ &chairs are too short#steampunkchat -6:18 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @MarshallGabe Any good sources for furniture items, or will most furniture need some SP love? #steampunkchat -6:18 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe @AirshipEmbassy Basic furniture. Trying to match that to theme. Dressers, bed, night stands, ceiling fan. #steampunkchat-6:16 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy Color pallet? fabric type and texture? #steampunkchat-6:15 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy Once a style/period is chosen, what’s the next step?#steampunkchat -6:15 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @MarshallGabe I would go that route, too, use the general Victorian design to set the feel #steampunkchat -6:14 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe Personally I think room should borrow inspiration from Victorian. Colors, material look, general design. #steampunkchat -6:13 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @MarshallGabe Good evening to you, sir! #steampunkchat-6:12 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @VeronicaPate How much of a steampunk room should be “historic reproduction” and how much should have “gears glued on”? 😉 #steampunkchat -6:11 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe A middle ground: Papier-mâché furniture. DIY and something from the time frame at same time. #steampunkchat -6:10 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy I’d love to see more Arts & Crafts and Art Nouvea used in #Steampunk interiors #steampunkchat -6:09 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe @AirshipEmbassy So far so good! Hope you had a good week. #steampunkchat -6:09 PM Jan 27th, 2012 VeronicaPate @artificer13 Yep, no idea what that even means. XD#steampunkchat -6:09 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @MarshallGabe Welcome! How are you this week?#steampunkchat -6:09 PM Jan 27th, 2012 MarshallGabe Good evening everyone. #steampunkchat -6:08 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @VeronicaPate Welcome aboard! Tonite’s topic is#steampunk interior design. We were just discussing balance of period vs punk #steampunkchat -6:08 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 I do love art deco, but I think that’s much more diesel punk era/style #steampunkchat -6:08 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Certainly others will use something they prefer, and I could see the other two styles working well too#steampunkchat -6:07 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @VeronicaPate Welcome! #steampunkchat -6:06 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 I’m going with Victorian because I like that style more, the heavy dark woods and lush fabrics#steampunkchat -6:06 PM Jan 27th, 2012 VeronicaPate Evening, all. #steampunkchat -6:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 What are your thoughts on the period design vs punk in a design? #steampunkchat -6:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy Perhaps a more basic question is what would you use as a design base? Victorian, Edwardian, Art Nouveau?#steampunkchat -6:05 PM Jan 27th, 2012 urban_refugee RT @AirshipEmbassy: RT @artificer13: Good evening Steamers, tonites topic is Steampunk Interior Design. #steampunkchat-6:04 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy Steampunk interior design is a timely topic for me, I’m wrapping up a blog to crowd source remodeling my guest room#steampunkchat -6:04 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Yikes, migraines 🙁 Sorry to hear your weekend is starting that way #steampunkchat -6:03 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 So perhaps 70/30 steam/punk, although I could be swayed easily to 50/50 #steampunkchat -6:02 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Personally, I think the punk part is more in the accents, with the period part being the base background#steampunkchat -6:02 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 @AirshipEmbassy Apart from the migraines, I’m doing splendidly, and yourself? #steampunkchat -6:01 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy @artificer13 Hello! How are you this week?#steampunkchat -6:00 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 First question: How much of #SP Interior Design should rely on replicating period interiors, how much should be “punked”?#steampunkchat -6:00 PM Jan 27th, 2012 AirshipEmbassy RT @artificer13: Good evening Steamers, tonites topic is Steampunk Interior Design. #steampunkchat -6:00 PM Jan 27th, 2012 artificer13 Good evening Steamers, tonite’s topic is Steampunk Interior Design. #steampunkchat -5:59 PM Jan 27th, 2012

Comments are closed.